One of the key initiatives for Europe’s Digital Decade will be on the metaverse. Virtual worlds promise to transform everything from gaming to education to workspaces. With concrete proposals on the metaverse due in 2023, questions remain: How should the EU approach the metaverse? Will existing EU laws, such as the Digital Services Act, the Digital Markets Act, the E-Commerce Directive, and the General Data Protection Regulation, sufficiently cover the metaverse? What gaps, if any, should policymakers address?
Watch the discussion presented by the Center for Data Innovation on what policy issues EU policymakers should focus on in a possible metaverse initiative.
Date and Time:
- November 22, 2022, from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM (CET) / 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM (EST)
- Sarah Andrew, Legal Director, Avaaz
- Patrick Grady, Policy Analyst, Center for Data Innovation (moderator)
- Miranda Lutz, Director of Public Policy, XR Association
- Rehana Schwinninger-Ladak, DG CNECT, European Commission
- Dragos Tudorache, Member of the European Parliament, Renew